Sunday, August 25, 2019

and the time's such clumsy time

I've been trying to figure out what kind of updating I want to do to this blog, what kind of record I'm actually trying to keep here. Every week I write a recap of the week and Jeremy's sister puts it together in a family newsletter, and it's been doubling as a journal since we started, which usually means I get way too wordy for the weekly family recap, I just want to remember stuff! Except I don't keep that written anywhere but where she publishes it. So. Maybe I'll start copying it to here and filling it out with more of the details. It's an experiment. We'll see if I'm convinced. 

aug 19 - 25

Monday's highlight was going to the castle park/playground. The boys LOVE it. Oslo has gotten a bit braver about going down slides and has started to try them on his own, with one exception - there are four slides at this playground, and there was one Oslo would only go down if he was doing a "slide train" with Berlin. Hey, progress is progress. That night for FHE we wrote letters to Sister Brown.


Please note Berlin's tatted arms. Jeremy's coworker gave him a package of temporary tattoos, and there were like 140 in it. I think 70 are on Berlin and the other 70 are on Oslo. Berlin looks like a skater.


I spent a large chunk of Tuesday having a presidency meeting with Nascha (Relief Society president, from Finland). The first counselor moved out of our ward a few weeks ago and the new counselor hasn't been called yet, so Nascha and her son Lehi came to our house at about 10 and we had a meeting/lunch/putting kids down for naps-session. It was, surprisingly, incredibly productive. Lehi and Oslo play pretty well together, so they kept each other busy until they got hungry. Berlin picked up some pfand (if you take your bottles, plastic or glass, to most grocery stores, you get money for them) from Jeremy's office before we headed home, and Jeremy came home shortly afterwards because his bishopric meeting was cancelled. It was nice to have him home a little earlier.

On Wednesday, we picked Berlin up from kita and then went to the library. This time was a little more of an adventure. We couldn't check out books because Berlin's card needed to be renewed, and the process of renewing it requires some serious documentation proving that you live in Berlin, which I did not know, and I didn't come prepared. The lady at the desk ended up accepting a referral I happened to have for Oslo's pediatric orthodontist that has our last name and address on it. Go figure. Then Jeremy came and met us at the library, and we experimented with Berlin's card to see if he could check out materials from more than just the kid section, requested books from the basement (30+ min wait), and then we just... tried the self checkout. Which worked. We all came home with at least one book, so everybody was happy.

On Thursday the boys had appointments to get chicken pox vaccines (which I'm pretty sure your kids couldn't get if you were pregnant, but I asked and they said it was fine, so... there's that). Jeremy prepped them that morning by singing LMFAO's "Shots!" #killingtheparentinggame So we picked Berlin up from kita and headed out to the doctor's office. On the way to pick him up our stroller just... collapsed. That's our fourth stroller in this city. We're kind of hard on strollers. It made adventuring that day a LITTLE more difficult, but... we managed. At the doctors' they realized Oslo needed his 3-year appointment, and the receptionist said, "You're pregnant. You don't want to come back for this. Let's see if we can get it all done today." And they did. So awesome of them. Oslo got his shot before Berlin and hardly even winced. Berlin cried before they even did anything (and I had to drag him out from under the exam table while the doctor tried to bribe him with candy), and then he ONLY winced when they actually gave him the shot. Weirdo. For the record (because I don't really keep one), Berlin weighs 52 pounds and Oslo weighs 33 pounds. For some reason it's weird to me that Oslo isn't half of Berlin's weight. Afterwards we went grocery shopping and Jeremy met us there on his way home from work to help us get everything home.





On Friday, Jeremy got a haircut, Oslo played with Berlin at his kita for a little while when we went to pick up Berlin, and then we picked up the sewing machine (The Sewing Shop - it jammed up a few weeks ago and I just barely got around to dropping it off) before we went home. The boys went to sleep shortly after we got home and I worked on some sewing projects before Jeremy and I watched Red 2.  



On Saturday, the boys woke up ridiculously early but played very quietly after they came in to tell us they were awake. At about 9, Jeremy and I got up, and the boys had entertained themselves by launching themselves off the bunk bed onto Oslo's mattress. How they a) didn't kill themselves and b) didn't make any noise, I don't know. We ate breakfast and went to our ward's Primary activity, where the boys made pizzas and played games in the gym, the leaders sneaked in a practice session for the songs they were singing in sacrament meeting, and then Jeremy got out his double dutch ropes and the kids jumped for the rest of the time. After we got home and everybody but Jeremy had naps, the boys played with Legos while I made dinner and cookies. I worked on my lesson and then Jeremy and I watched another movie (Stranger Than Fiction).

Berlin told us Oslo didn't actually jump, Berlin "had to help him," 
which he proceeded to describe as basically throwing him off the bed.
"He bounced kind of hard one time and fell off the bed, and he started crying,
but he only cried for a little bit."




On Sunday the boys left a bit earlier to get to the church so Berlin could practice his song, and Oslo and I got on a slightly later, and of course delayed, train that made us miss a bus, so we walked into sacrament meeting a few minutes late, and of course today of all days our chapel was packed because we had all the YSAs in the stake visiting our ward. It took me about 3 laps of the chapel to find where Jeremy and Berlin were sitting and figure out a route to get to them that was the least distracting. Pretty sure I failed on the "least distracting" part. Berlin did a great job singing (they had me playing piano last minute, which ended up much better than anticipated), and we had such good (and verbose) speakers that the Primary number ended up being the closing song. My lesson went pretty well, although I did totally lose control of the lesson in the last five minutes of class, a side effect of teaching in a language I don't speak very well, but also somewhat impressive because we only had 7 people in class, including me. It ended up just fine, Nascha managed to get control again, but it was definitely a first for me. We waited a little longer at the church for Jeremy to finish (they were being audited) and then came home, and after all of us took long naps, we had a fun dinner on the balcony.  








[title from for me this is heaven by jimmy eat world] 

No comments: