Wednesday, November 13, 2019

no insurance for the unthinkable

Nov 4 - Nov 10

Unfortunately I didn’t write this Sunday night like I should’ve, so my memory of last week is not mostly blended with the last few days. Hopefully this makes a teeny bit of sense!


On Monday, I had an appointment with my doctor. It was the day after my due date (we were between dates, Nov 1 or Nov 3, so we acted like it was Nov 3 until later in the week) and I went in and did the CDG monitoring (heart rate and contractions) and they took my blood pressure. The doctor just said, “Well, we wait. Come back on Wednesday unless you have the baby.” So we were back on Wednesday. More of the same, but the doctor did look at the baby on the ultrasound to see how much fluid was around the baby. All good, healthy levels. So he said to come back on Friday if I hadn’t had the baby, and he would write us the referral to go to the hospital on Saturday or Sunday to plan an induction.


So Friday, after we got there and did the normal monitoring, we didn’t even talk to the doctor. They just gave us the referral and hoped they wouldn’t see us at the next appointment on Monday.


I don’t remember a lot of what happened in between. Tuesday night, Jeremy didn’t have bishopric meetings and I went to pick up a dehumidifier from someone near Potsdam, so it took me like an hour and a half to get there. When I did get there, the wheelie bag I’d brought to transport it was WAY too small. And being as huge as I was, I didn’t really have a lot of options. The guy selling it couldn’t believe I was there to pick it up and ended up driving me to the nearest train station and we turned my wheelie bag into more of a hand truck. He also refused to let me pay him for it. Me and the ridiculous situations I get myself into.


Thursday afternoon/evening we met Jeremy and Berlin at the church where our ward was throwing a mini-farewell party for Rosa, the girl in our ward from Nicaragua. She was leaving to go back on Saturday, and she has submitted almost everything for her mission papers from our ward too. It was great to see her one more time before she left - she was a LITTLE disappointed that she wasn’t seeing our baby before she left, but she forgave me :)


This week was also commemorating the 30th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall. There have been a number of different activities running all week, so Friday afternoon we met Jeremy and Berlin at Alexanderplatz and started some sightseeing there. Unfortunately the displays were a little… underwhelming. We walked for a little bit until I got tired and was ready to go home.


On Saturday, we got up and had breakfast and then I went to the hospital while the boys had naps. I was at the hospital for HOURS. I got in pretty quickly, they monitored me again (my new favorite activity) and then said everything looked fine, I just needed to wait for a doctor. It was almost 3 hours later that I actually saw a doctor. We looked at the baby on an ultrasound, she tried to make a weight estimate without the head of the baby (the baby was so far down she couldn’t see it on the monitor) so she did the estimate without the head. 8.5 pounds. How much does a head weigh? 😂😂😂😂😂😂


They scheduled me for Monday morning, and since I was right next to the grocery store, I stopped to make sure we had everything the boys might need. Then I went home and wanted to mop all of the floors. Knowing when I was going to have the baby made it easier to plan. And be a crazy cleaning freak at the same time.


On Sunday after church, we went to see the display for the wall anniversary by Brandenburger Tor. We certainly didn’t see it in all of its glory, but it was still cool to see, especially since I wasn’t sure I even wanted to go, because, walking. But I was very glad we went. We went home and everybody but Jeremy got in bed to take naps, but I was the only one who actually took one. The boys went to bed pretty early and then I made dinner for me and Jeremy, and we planned the week, what would happen which days, of course assuming the baby came on Monday and all of the induction plan worked (I can’t have labor-inducing drugs because I’ve had a c section, and those hard-fast contraction drugs can cause a scar to rupture, so they had other plans which… I’m really glad I didn’t have to use! 😂 









[title from mistakes we knew we were making by mae]

No comments: