Monday, September 16, 2019

trains and sewing machines

Sep 9 - 15

On Monday, it rained ALL day. All day. It started at about 4AM and just… didn’t ever stop. We went to pick up Berlin after spending the morning snuggling and reading books and taking naps, and then we built a fort and the boys watched a movie while I made dinner. 





On Tuesday morning before kita, it finally stopped raining, and Berlin was supposedly working on a birthday card for a friend. I walked into the hall to check on Oslo and found Berlin in front of the mirror with marker ALL over his face. It wasn’t even 8AM. Off to a killer start. So he had to go get in the shower and was working on said card during breakfast - he was going over to that friend’s house after kita for a birthday party, so he didn’t have any more time to put it off (he started on it on Monday and then suddenly my little basket of thread was tangled all over the living room. I swear I was in the kitchen for MAYBE five minutes). Berlin and Jeremy did make it out the door, no marker on any faces, and Berlin went to his friend’s (Florian) birthday party on a boat. Jeremy picked him up after work, and Oslo and I went to the church to help the missionaries teach the same investigator from last week. We all ended up getting home really late (Jeremy and Berlin ended up having dinner at Florian’s house, and the lesson didn’t end until almost 7:30 plus cleaning up the nursery that Oslo managed to destroy on his own PLUS the hour-long trip home) and everybody crashed. 

On Wednesday, Oslo and I were only at home an hour or two before we headed out to get Berlin - my friend Rosa was coming over to make lunch, so we needed to be home before she got there. We did get home, and both boys were napping before she even got there. She made a kind of cross between a crepe and a tortilla and filled it with cheese and we poured honey over the tops. They were delicious. When the boys woke up, we finished our grocery shopping list and met Jeremy at the store. The promotion at this grocery store is little emoji sticky things that the boys (now) love, and we ended up with six in total. Then we got home and there were quite a few tears in anticipation of a meal Oslo and Berlin weren’t sure they were going to like. Oslo ended up pounding it. Berlin… took like an hour to eat roughly half of it (claiming he only liked one of the three ingredients. Ugh.)




On Thursday, Jeremy and Berlin headed to work/kita and Oslo and I left shortly afterwards to meet up with Nascha and go and visit an elderly lady in our ward (she lives in a nursing home). Afterwards I had a doctor’s appointment, and we met Jeremy there. Unfortunately it turned out that my appointments now just take a really long time- they listen to the baby’s heartbeat, but mostly monitor for contractions, for half an hour. So by the time that was finished Jeremy had already been gone from work for almost two hours, so he head to head back. The actual seeing the doctor never takes more than 10 minutes, but we do get to see the baby every time - they do an ultrasound to check to make sure I have plenty of amniotic fluid, that the baby is growing normally and is in the right position, etc. The baby is currently just over 5 pounds.  Then we picked up Berlin, came home, and because we’d skipped naps, the boys were in bed before Jeremy got home. Jeremy and I stayed up kind of late that night looking at Legos. 


On Friday, Berlin had a field trip to a (weird) art exhibit, so I gave Oslo a nap before we went to pick up Berlin, and he slept a little longer than I thought he would. He’s been a little sick this week, a bit of a runny nose and a cough, so I suppose I shouldn’t have been surprised, but it meant that we didn’t pick Berlin up until after 3. From his kita we went to pick up a Lego set that someone was selling locally; the whole thing ended up taking SO much longer than we thought, and we ended up at two grocery stores to make sure we had the right change - at the first one Oslo dropped his car in a receipt slot that required getting keys to unlock and recover. I realized only after this whole event that I didn’t have the right change, and I was too embarrassed to ask them to give me different change, so we walked across the parking lot to another grocery store. We eventually got the right change and made it to the house where the lady was selling Lego sets, and I walked out with the wrong one. So I went back in, told her I asked for the wrong one, and she was very kind in giving me the right one. All around adventure, let me tell you. Jeremy was happy anyway, with both the set AND the story. It’s fine. I do embarrassing things. That night we watched “Not Without My Daughter,” a movie made in the 90s based on a true story about a woman whose husband essentially holds her hostage in Iran (and actually follows the story very closely). Super intense. Really good.


On Saturday, I think the boys played (with Jeremy) all morning. I seriously slept til 1. When I got up, we got ready to head to the church for stake conference meetings and then the evening session. We got home at about 9:30 and everybody crashed. We did get to sleep in a little bit because stake conference started later than our usual church meetings. Afterwards, we waited for a little bit for Jeremy to go get a new temple recommend - I unknowingly sent his to the dry cleaners and it didn’t come back. Then on the way home, we stopped by a display for a graffiti museum that has some cool exhibit going on that we want to check out later this week. We got home, ate lunch, and ALL of us crashed. For hours. Jeremy and I didn’t wake up til 7, and then we slowly woke the boys up. It’s meant that we have had a very late evening - dinner was at about 9 and the boys probably went to bed just after 10. Hopefully we’re not all dead tomorrow!


 










[title from hide and seek by imogen heap]

No comments: